Parshat Chayei Sarah is perhaps not the most aptly named parsha. For the opening narrative tells us something about Sarah’s age when she died and Avraham’s strenuous efforts to pay for her burial plot in the field of Efron the Hittite - but essentially relates nothing about Sarah’s life!
Why does the Torah put so much stress on Avraham’s insistence on purchasing that parcel of land rather than accepting the gift offered to him? Moreover, why did Avraham dally over the acquisition of a burial ground, only to take care of that matter urgently after Sarah’s death?
Yonatan Breuer, of blessed memory, explained that Avraham, whose life was essentially nomadic and whose mission was so pioneering in nature, had neither the time nor the opportunity to put down roots. Only after Sarah’s demise, following Yitzchak’s close encounter with death in the matter of the Akeida, did Avraham see the sudden imperative to found a permanent estate.
Avraham understood that if Yitzchak was to continue his legacy, he, Avraham, needed to establish a personal foothold in Eretz Yisrael. And only when Rivka heard of Sara’s burial in Ma’arat Hamechpala (bought by Avraham for 400 shekels of silver), would she later consent to leave Haran to re-establish Sarah’s sanctified tent. In a sense, then, this was the meaning of Sarah’s death - and her life.
Shabbat Shalom, Menachem Persoff
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Candle A Day
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- ParshaPix Explanations
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Short Vort
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives