This week’s parsha portrays the devious nature of Yaakov’s uncle (and future father-in-law) Lavan to whom Yaakov flees both to escape Eisav’s machinations and to look for a wife. The Torah describes how, after Yaakov’s encounter with Rachel at the well, Lavan ran towards his nephew, embraced him and kissed him, and took him to his house (B’reishit 29:13).
However, after many years of toil and contending with Lavan’s deceit, Yaakov runs away from Lavan’s house in Haran. He fled with all he had; he arose and crossed the river and Lavan chased him all the way to Mt. Gil’ad. Lavan complains to Yaakov, inter alia, that his nephew, “Did not, even allow me to kiss my sons and daughters” (31:28).
The contrast between Lavan’s warm reception of Yaakov and his cold demeanor on Yaakov’s departure is glaring, to say the least. To put this in perspective, Rashi, citing the Midrash, comments that Lavan’s initial embrace of Yaakov was no more than the gesture of a greedy man exploring Yaakov’s person in the expectation of finding it laden with precious gifts.
And referring to Yaakov’s clandestine departure, the Chafetz Chayim noted that Lavan would only have kissed, “My sons and my daughters” - but not Yaakov! How typical this is of those people who embrace us when they think they need us but abandon us when we no longer serve their interests. When will we learn how to embrace others for their sakes and not for ours?
Shabbat Shalom, Menachem Persoff
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- How often does RH fall on Shabbat?
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives