In this week’s parsha we are introduced to the first command given to the Jewish people as a whole while they were yet in Mitzrayim. Hashem says to Moshe and Aharon, “This month shall be for you the beginning of months, it shall be for you the first of the months of the year” (Sh’mot 12:1-2).
A slave people, for whom time was meaningless, was now bonded with real time. For the Torah narrative, “This month shall be for you”, involved individuals directly in a practical witnessing of the new moon in order to corroborate Rosh Chodesh and thus to fix the dates of the upcoming festivals. This command was so central to the Jewish people that a thousand years later it was one of the three cardinal Jewish practices banned by the Greek- Syrians.
For the S’fat Emet this Mitzva was commanded in Mitzrayim, the epitome of exile and darkness, because it would signify Jewish renewal and the revelation of Hashem’s beneficence in this world that we identify with Redemption. As the moon renews itself every month, so Hashem recreates the world with every passing moment (cf. morning prayers). And if we could but internalize this notion, we too might begin to renew ourselves spiritually with every passing day. A noble thought, especially this month, in which we celebrate the renewal of nature with TU BiShvat.
Shabbat Shalom, Menachem Persoff
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- How often does RH fall on Shabbat?
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Chizuk and Idud
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives