There are those who remind us occasionally that we live in a world of falsehood. Understandable, since the very term for this world, Olam, indicates that something, the purest light from the Source, is Ne’elam, hidden from us. However, it is also said that without “darkness” we would never comprehend light. One way or another, the falsities of this world present a supreme obstacle in our attempts to attain spiritual integrity and to bathe in the light of the Shechina.
No wonder then that in our parsha the Torah commands us neither to accept a false report nor to extend our hand to the wicked to be a venal witness (one who accepts a bribe). Interestingly, the first part of the pasuk (Sh’mot 23:1) refers to the prohibition to believe unveri- fied gossip while the latter phrase refers to a ban on false witnesses.
In both cases one could consider extenuating circumstances: How often do we say that we are not really talking Lashon Hara - “It is for a good cause; we are acting professionally”? And unsure of our evidence, how often do we rationalize that we are saving the world from itself, that our motives are noble?
The two parts are of the pasuk are connected, however. Yes, we start with seemingly irrelevant gossip… but that is possibly the first of several treacherous small steps on the road to deceit until, almost unknowingly, we turn against our brothers in court with but another little lie.
Shabbat Shalom, Menachem Persoff
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1043 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat M’vorchim
- Issue 1042 - Shabbat Parshat Emor
- Issue 1041 - Shabbat Parshat Acharei-K'Doshim
- Issue 1040 - Shabbat Parshat Tazri'a-M'tzora
- Issue 1039 - Shabbat Parshat Tzav-Hagadol-Shmini
- Issue 1038 - Shabbat Parshat Vayikra
- Issue 1037 - Shabbat Parshat Vayakhel-P'Kudei-Hachodesh
- Issue 1036 - Shabbat Parshat Ki Tisa
- Issue 1035 - Shabbat Parshat T'tzaveh
- Issue 1034 - Shabbat Parshat T'rumah
- Issue 1033 - Shabbat Parshat Mishpatim
- Issue 1032 - Shabbat Parshat Yitro
- View All Issue Archives