How nice to find a connection with the upcoming holiday of Pesach in our parsha! Indeed, the mention of the additional details of the Mincha offering recalling “Chametz” causes us to take a closer look.
The simplest and most basic Mincha offering consisted of finely ground wheat flour, oil and frankincense. Rabbi Hirsch remarks that the Mincha was a tribute that acknowledged that all of our existence, comfort and joy stem from Hashem. Notably, there were four more sophisticated varieties of the Mincha that were cooked and baked in various ways.
Aharon and his sons could eat what was left of the offering - but it was to be eaten, “unleavened in a holy place” (Vayikra 6:9). Abarbanel links this directive to the following text, “I have presented it [the remains of the Mincha] as their share of My fire-offerings” (v.10). He posits that the Kohen is like the Altar that provides atonement when offerings go up in smoke. And just as Chametz cannot be eaten on the Altar, correspondingly Chametz cannot be consumed by the Kohanim.
So, how nice to think that as we, too, desist from Chametz on Pesach, we could also possibly rise to the level of the Altar!
Shabbat Shalom, Menachem Persoff
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives