Parshat Chukat raises the perennial issue of the CHOK, a statute for which there appears to be no logical explanation. The law of the Red Heifer seems to be the archetype, for not only are the purification procedures seemingly irrational but also the kohen who purifies the person in touch with the dead, he himself becomes impure!
In truth, there are reasons behind all the laws of the Torah - but we, with all our powers of perception, do not know how to explain the Chukim. And although R’ Moshe Hadarshan claimed that the Red Heifer atoned for the Sin of the Golden Calf, our rabbis tell us that only Moshe Rabeinu - the singular individual not tainted by that event - was privy to the real reason for this enigmatic command.
Our rabbis also relate that the wise King Solomon figured out the explanations of all the laws and statutes until he came to the CHOK of the Red Heifer. He then understood that if he could not fathom that law, perhaps there were other things that he did not understand; there was much more that even he had to learn. This is surely a timely lesson for anyone who thinks that he or she has the answers to all the secrets of the Torah.
Shabbat Shalom, Menachem Persoff
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- ParshaPix Explanations
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives