Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder
1) Why did Par’o have to be told that the Jewish people fled (14:5)? Wasn’t he the one who sent the Jews out of Egypt?
2) Why does the Torah first describe the Jews as having entered INTO THE SEA ON DRY LAND (14:22) and then switch to relating that they went ON THE DRY LAND INTO THE SEA (14:29)?
3) Why does the Torah use the extra words AND THEY DID NOT LISTEN TO MOSHE when describing the Jews leaving manna over until the morning (16:20)? Isn’t it obvious that in doing so they were going against Moshe’s command not to leave over any manna (see 16:19)?
Parsha Points to Ponder by Rabbi Dov Lipman
Rabbi Lipman is an educator, author, and community activist in Bet Shemesh - http://www.rabbilipman.com
Ponder the questions first, then see further
1) The S’forno explains that the Torah uses the word BARACH to describe the Jewish people fleeing. This word connotes a sense of panic and lack of order. Par’o was told that the Jews were confused and this led to his decision to chase after them.
2) The Kli Yakar teaches that the first description refers to the righteous people who went into the sea before the water split. They went INTO THE SEA. The second description refers to the less righteous who waited until the sea split before going in as captured by their going ON THE DRY LAND and then INTO THE SEA.
3) The Ohr HaChayim answers that these words come to emphasize that this command came from Moshe, himself, and did not originate with a command from G-D. Moshe inferred this law from the fact that G-D was providing manna each day. This fits well with the fact that the command is captured by the words AND MOSHE SAID TO THEM (16:19) and not THESE ARE THE WORDS WHICH G-D COMMANDED as we see in 16:16.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Jewish Law
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- How often does RH fall on Shabbat?
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Chizuk and Idud
- Towards Better Davening and Torah Reading
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1043 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat M’vorchim
- Issue 1042 - Shabbat Parshat Emor
- Issue 1041 - Shabbat Parshat Acharei-K'Doshim
- Issue 1040 - Shabbat Parshat Tazri'a-M'tzora
- Issue 1039 - Shabbat Parshat Tzav-Hagadol-Shmini
- Issue 1038 - Shabbat Parshat Vayikra
- Issue 1037 - Shabbat Parshat Vayakhel-P'Kudei-Hachodesh
- Issue 1036 - Shabbat Parshat Ki Tisa
- Issue 1035 - Shabbat Parshat T'tzaveh
- Issue 1034 - Shabbat Parshat T'rumah
- Issue 1033 - Shabbat Parshat Mishpatim
- Issue 1032 - Shabbat Parshat Yitro
- View All Issue Archives