Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder - Korach
1) Why did G-D instruct Moshe to take his staff to the rock if the command was to speak and not hit the rock (20:8)?
2) G-D tells Moshe and Aharon that they were punished for NOT TRUSTING ME TO SANCTIFY ME IN THE EYES OF THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL (20:12). When did Moshe and Aharon fail in this manner?
3) Why does the Torah say AND FROM THERE THEY TRAVELED regarding the Jews traveling to Nachal Zared and Eiver Arnon (21:12-13) instead of the usual AND THEY TRAVELED FROM ONE PLACE AND CAMPED IN ANOTHER (e.g. see 21:10-11)?
Ponder the questions first, then see below
1) The Kli Yakar teaches that G-D instructed Moshe to bring Aharon’s staff and not his own. This was the staff which sprouted flowers after the Korach dispute. This would remind the people that just like G-D caused some water to form on this inanimate staff in order to enable the flowers to grow, he could do the same from the rock.
2) The Daat Zekainim MiBaalei HaTosfot explain that Moshe and Aharon did this when they said FROM THIS ROCK CAN WE BRING FORTH WATER FOR YOU (20:10), seemingly attributing the miracle to their powers instead of saying CAN G-D WILL BRING FORTH WATER.
3) The Ohr HaChayim answers that the Torah uses different terminology since the Jews traveled to these two places after Aharon died and they no longer had the clouds of glory to lead them. Thus, they traveled on their own as the change in language indicates rather than following the movement of the clouds.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- ParshaPix Explanations
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives