Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder
1) Why does the Torah first refer to the Tabernacle as the MIKDASH (25:8) and then one verse later refer to it as the MISHKAN?
2) Why does the Torah use the word V’ASITA, AND YOU SHALL MAKE, in the singular regarding all the vessels of the Tabernacle but then switches to V’ASU, in the plural, regarding the construction of the ARON, the holy Ark (25:10)?
3) Why does the Torah say V’ET HAMISHKAN TAASEH, AND THE SANCTUARY YOU SHALL MAKE (26:1) and not V’ASITA MISHKAN, AND YOU SHALL MAKE A SANCTUARY, as it commands regarding all the vessels of the Mishkan?
Ponder the questions first, then see below
1) The Ohr HaChayim explains that the first verse refers to the commandment which applies at all times to build a holy place and uses the word MIKDASH since it includes the command to build the Bet HaMikdash, as well. The next verse begins with the specifics of the Tabernacle in the desert which is called the MISHKAN, the sanctuary.
2) Daat Zekainim MiBaalei HaTos’fot answer that since Torah study is a mitzva which all Jews must and can participate in, all Jews must participate in the construction of the Ark which will house the Torah and represents Torah study. Hence, the use of the plural V’ASU.
3) The Kli Yakar teaches that the word MISHKAN refers to G-D dwelling in this building, so it could not say YOU SHALL MAKE THE MISHKAN, which implies that we bring G-D’s presence to the building. The change in language enables the YOU SHALL MAKE to connect to the details of the construction which follow and not on G-D’S dwelling there.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat B'haalot'cha
- Issue 1043 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat M’vorchim
- Issue 1042 - Shabbat Parshat Emor
- Issue 1041 - Shabbat Parshat Acharei-K'Doshim
- Issue 1040 - Shabbat Parshat Tazri'a-M'tzora
- Issue 1039 - Shabbat Parshat Tzav-Hagadol-Shmini
- Issue 1038 - Shabbat Parshat Vayikra
- Issue 1037 - Shabbat Parshat Vayakhel-P'Kudei-Hachodesh
- Issue 1036 - Shabbat Parshat Ki Tisa
- Issue 1035 - Shabbat Parshat T'tzaveh
- Issue 1034 - Shabbat Parshat T'rumah
- Issue 1033 - Shabbat Parshat Mishpatim
- View All Issue Archives