Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder - Tzav
1) Why does the Torah emphasize that the Olah sacrifice is slaughtered in the same place as the sin offering instead of simply saying that the Olah should be sacrificed in the northern section of the AZARA (6:18)?
2) The Torah commands that the fats of the Sh’lamim offering be placed on top of the animal’s chest (7:30). Why, then, does that very same verse only mention the chest when describing the waving of the two?
3) The Torah described the construction of the Mishkan at the end of Sefer Sh’mot but the consecration of the Kohanim in this week’s Parsha (see chapter 8). Why weren’t the Kohanim prepared for service prior to the construction of the Mishkan so they could begin serving immediately?
Parsha Points to Ponder by Rabbi Dov Lipman, MK
Ponder the questions first, then see below
1) The Kli Yakar explains that this teaches a very important message. The Olah offering is the highest level since it is burned in its entirety and is a pure gift to G-D. The Torah equates the Olah with the sin offering to indicate that once a person has decided to atone for his sin, even the sin offering is viewed as a pure gift to G-D since atonement is accomplished through the intentions of the person to improve his ways.
2) The S’forno answers that it is already clear that the fats are for G-D since they are placed on the altar. The primary purpose of the waving is to demonstrate the holiness of the chest and, therefore, the Torah focuses on the chest alone when describing the waving.
3) The Ohr HaChayim teaches that this entire section actually transpired before the Mishkan was erected and the Kohanim were ready to serve immediately. The Torah describes their consecration after the commands regarding the sacrifices to teach us that the Kohanim learned all this material prior to their consecration.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives