Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder
1) Why does the Torah have to identify Yosef as HIS SON when Yaakov calls Yosef to come speak to him about his burial (47:29)?
2) Why does Yaakov emphasize that Yosef’s oath to bury Yaakov in Canaan be an oath TO ME (LI - 47:31)?
3) Why does the Torah report that Yosef, his brothers, and then every one else returned to Egypt after burying Yaakov (50:14) while when they left Egypt to bury Yaakov, the Egyptians who went along went before the brothers (50:7-8)?
Parsha Points to Ponder by Rabbi Dov Lipman
Rabbi Lipman is an educator, author, and community activist in Bet Shemesh - http://www.rabbilipman.com
Ponder the questions first, then see further
1) The Ohr HaChayim explains that paging the leader of Egypt was not an accepted practice. Yaakov could only call Yosef because he was both HIS SON and also YOSEF who was righteous and would not be strict about the honor which is due to him in his position.
2) The Kli Yakar teaches that Yaakov was concerned that Par’o would pressure Yosef to find a way out of the oath. However, once the oath was made TO ME, which means with Yaakov’s intent and involvement as an integral part of the oath, Yosef could not leave the oath without Yaakov’s consent and he could tell Par’o as such.
3) The Da’at Zekainim MiBaalei HaTosfot answer that the Egyptians did not see any reason to respect Yaakov’s sons so they followed immediately behind Yosef on their way out of Egypt. However, when they saw the honor which the kings gave to Yaakov at his burial, they recognized the prestige of the family and walked behind Yaakov’s sons on the way back to Egypt.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Candle A Day
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Short Vort
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat B'haalot'cha
- Issue 1043 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat M’vorchim
- Issue 1042 - Shabbat Parshat Emor
- Issue 1041 - Shabbat Parshat Acharei-K'Doshim
- Issue 1040 - Shabbat Parshat Tazri'a-M'tzora
- Issue 1039 - Shabbat Parshat Tzav-Hagadol-Shmini
- Issue 1038 - Shabbat Parshat Vayikra
- Issue 1037 - Shabbat Parshat Vayakhel-P'Kudei-Hachodesh
- Issue 1036 - Shabbat Parshat Ki Tisa
- Issue 1035 - Shabbat Parshat T'tzaveh
- Issue 1034 - Shabbat Parshat T'rumah
- Issue 1033 - Shabbat Parshat Mishpatim
- View All Issue Archives