Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder
1) Why does the Torah have to identify Yosef as HIS SON when Yaakov calls Yosef to come speak to him about his burial (47:29)?
2) Why does Yaakov emphasize that Yosef’s oath to bury Yaakov in Canaan be an oath TO ME (LI - 47:31)?
3) Why does the Torah report that Yosef, his brothers, and then every one else returned to Egypt after burying Yaakov (50:14) while when they left Egypt to bury Yaakov, the Egyptians who went along went before the brothers (50:7-8)?
Parsha Points to Ponder by Rabbi Dov Lipman
Rabbi Lipman is an educator, author, and community activist in Bet Shemesh - http://www.rabbilipman.com
Ponder the questions first, then see further
1) The Ohr HaChayim explains that paging the leader of Egypt was not an accepted practice. Yaakov could only call Yosef because he was both HIS SON and also YOSEF who was righteous and would not be strict about the honor which is due to him in his position.
2) The Kli Yakar teaches that Yaakov was concerned that Par’o would pressure Yosef to find a way out of the oath. However, once the oath was made TO ME, which means with Yaakov’s intent and involvement as an integral part of the oath, Yosef could not leave the oath without Yaakov’s consent and he could tell Par’o as such.
3) The Da’at Zekainim MiBaalei HaTosfot answer that the Egyptians did not see any reason to respect Yaakov’s sons so they followed immediately behind Yosef on their way out of Egypt. However, when they saw the honor which the kings gave to Yaakov at his burial, they recognized the prestige of the family and walked behind Yaakov’s sons on the way back to Egypt.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Candle A Day
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- Short Vort
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives