Parsha Points to Ponder
Parsha Points to Ponder
1) Most Parashot in the Torah begin on their own line in the Torah. Why does Parshat Vayeitzei begin on the same line in which Parashat Toldot ended?
Ed. note: 13 of the Torah’s 54 sedras begin on the same line that the previous sedra ended.
2) Why does the Torah use the seemingly extra word V’HINEI - AND BEHOLD when describing what Yaakov saw in his dream (25:12)?
3) Why does Yaakov first describe his 20 years with Lavan as TWENTY YEARS I HAVE BEEN WITH YOU (31:38) and then three verses later he describes it as THIS TO ME TWENTY YEARS IN YOUR HOUSE (31:41)? What are each of these verses referring to thereby warranting the different expressions?
Parsha Points to Ponder by Rabbi Dov Lipman
Rabbi Lipman is an educator, author, and community activist in Bet Shemesh - http://www.rabbilipman.com
Ponder the questions first, then see further
1) The Da’at Zekainim MiBaalei HaTosfot answer that the Parsha beginning without the usual fanfare hints to the fact that the opening words of the Parsha happened without fanfare or people taking notice. Yaakov left Be’er Sheva discreetly so that Eisav would not take notice of his escape.
2) The Ohr HaChayim explains that AND BEHOLD teaches that Yaakov saw everything in this dream clearly without the usual confusion and haziness which we experience in our dreams.
3) The Kli Yakar teaches that the first verse refers to how Yaakov acted towards Lavan as we see from the ensuing words describing the honest way he worked. Therefore, he describes being WITH YOU connoting trying to do everything right for Lavan. The second verse captures how Lavan mistreated Yaakov - what he did TO ME and acting like a person who was simply IN YOUR HOUSE.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- How often does RH fall on Shabbat?
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat B'haalot'cha
- Issue 1043 - Shabbat Parshat B’har-B’chukotai - Shabbat M’vorchim
- Issue 1042 - Shabbat Parshat Emor
- Issue 1041 - Shabbat Parshat Acharei-K'Doshim
- Issue 1040 - Shabbat Parshat Tazri'a-M'tzora
- Issue 1039 - Shabbat Parshat Tzav-Hagadol-Shmini
- Issue 1038 - Shabbat Parshat Vayikra
- Issue 1037 - Shabbat Parshat Vayakhel-P'Kudei-Hachodesh
- Issue 1036 - Shabbat Parshat Ki Tisa
- Issue 1035 - Shabbat Parshat T'tzaveh
- Issue 1034 - Shabbat Parshat T'rumah
- Issue 1033 - Shabbat Parshat Mishpatim
- View All Issue Archives