Portion of the Portion
SH'MA YISRAEL... will All Your Soul
SH’MA YISRAEL… will All Your Soul
Those who are learning Daf Yomi had a reference to our verses from Sh’ma last week (Psachim 25a). The Gemara is discussing having benefit (issur hanaya) from things that are prohibited to us in some way (i.e chametz, meat-in-milk). In our case it is talking about what types of produce are permissible to be used as medicines. The Gemara states that a person may be healed with any substance, even one whose benefit is prohibited, except for the wood of an ASHEIRA. An ASHEIRA is a type of tree that is worshiped for AVODA ZARA or under which an idol is placed.
The proof for this ruling is brought in the name of Rav Eliezer who brings our verses, “And you shall love Hashem your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your resources - B’CHOL L’VAV’CHA, UVCHOL NAFSH’CHA, UVCHOL M’ODECHA (6:5). This teaches that one must sacrifice everything for love of God - whether it is your life - NAFSH’CHA or your money - M’ODECHA - whatever is most important to you - that is what you must be willing to give up for love of God. Therefore, he cannot use a medicine from a tree that is connected to idol worship even if it will affect his health - because by not doing so he is demonstrating his love for God.
May we all have the insight to know how to act properly in order to show God how much we love Him and so we can make others want to do the same as well.
IN THE SH’MA we are told to hear - so here is a recipe for a salad that one hears when they eat it. The corn chips add flavor and also a crunch that can be heard.
Corn Chip & Lettuce Salad
1 lettuce, washed, checked and cut
3 onions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 pepper, chopped
Yellow cheese, grated
1 bag of corn chips
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup vinegar
Toss together all the vegetables. Mix dressing ingredients then add to vegetables. Before serving add the corn chips - whole or crushed.
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Maharal on the Sedra
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- Parsha Points to Ponder
- ParshaPix Explanations
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives