Hidden in the Sand
The key to this from time to time feature is GT (gimatriya twins) or GM (gimatriya match) - which mean the same thing. GTs or GMs are words, phrases, or p’sukim that have a common gimatriya. When we find two whole p’sukim with the same numeric value, we try to find a “nice vort” that will include both p’sukim. The vort will work without the GM, but it is nicer when the gimatriyas match.
Back in Parshat Lech L’cha (B’reishit 13:17), G-d said to Avra(ha)m:
Rise, walk the land, through its length and breadth, for I will give it [all] to you.
The promise of Eretz Yisrael to the Avot for their descendants is unconditional, but our living in the Land is conditional upon our keeping the Torah. Parshat Mishpatim begins with a statement that refers to a great number of mitzvot. That pasuk (Sh’mot 21:1) has the same gimatriya as the above pasuk, and reminds us of our obligation to G-d, and the key to secure life in the Land.
V’ELE HAMISHPATIM ASHER TASIM LIFNEIHEM:
Naaseh v’Nishma announced our commitment to follow G-d’s commands. Including The Mishna and the Talmud. Both phrases have the same gimatriya!
In This Issue of Torah Tidbits
- Lead Tidbit
- Guest Article
- Candle A Day
- Gold from the Land of Israel
- Aliya-by-Aliya Sedra Summary
- Sedra Stats
- Vebbe Rebbe
- Portion of the Portion
- Oz Torah
- TTriddles "Report"
- Person In The Parsha
- Word of the Month
- The Trade and Commerce of the Talmid Chacham- Tamari
- Chizuk and Idud
- Unlocking the Torah Text
- Divrei Menachem
- "From Machon Puah"
Recent Torah Tidbits
- Issue 1056 - Shabbat Parshat Shoftim
- Issue 1055 - Shabbat Parshat R'ei
- Issue 1054 - Shabbat Parshat Eikev
- Issue 1053 - Shabbat Parshat Va’etchanan - Nachamu
- Issue 1052 - Shabbat Parshat D'varim
- Issue 1051 - Shabbat Parshat Matot Masei - Shabbat Mevarchim
- Issue 1050 - Shabbat Parshat Pinchas
- Issue 1049 - Shabbat Parshat Balak
- Issue 1048 - Shabbat Parshat Chukat
- Issue 1047 - Shabbat Parshat Korach
- Issue 1046 - Shabbat Parshat Sh'lach
- Issue 1045 - Shabbat Parshat B'haalot'cha
- View All Issue Archives