- Birkat HaChodesh by Zemira Ozarowski
- Lighting Candles: A Brisker Perspective by Rabbi Jesse Horn
- Modern-Day Miracles: How My Family was Saved from a House Fire by Shellie Grafstein
- The Spark Within by Rivka Yudin
Birkat HaChodesh by Zemira Ozarowski
Lighting Candles: A Brisker Perspective by Rabbi Jesse Horn
Modern-Day Miracles: How My Family was Saved from a House Fire
Fire Safety Tips by Shellie Grafstein-
- Fire department/police/ambulance/hatzalah phone numbers should be on every phone.
- Every home should have an escape plan and everyone in the house should know what it is.
- Smoke rises. Stay low to the ground if escaping from a fire.
- Frayed or cracked electrical wiring/cords can lead to disaster. Replace anything that looks suspicious.
- Watch your cooking. Never leave your stove top unattended while frying, grilling or broiling anything. Never put out a grease fire with water (it can cause an explosion).
- Don’t charge your phones or laptops overnight or on soft surfaces (couch, mattress, chair) ever.
- Give space heaters space, at least 1 meter away from anything that can burn.
- Candles should never be left unattended while burning. If you must leave the house, light the candles in a sink or on the stove top. Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and know how to use it.
- Do not have aprons, curtains or anything flammable near your stove. Keep your hair/teichel tied back.
- Keep matches and lighters far away from children.
- Buy smoke alarms for each room and replace the batteries annually.
- House/apartment number should be clearly visible to aid the rescuers.
- Sorgims with locks. Please have the key easily accessible for each lock. Keep the key on a non-meltable product (leather shoelace) because if you need to unlock the sorgim in a fire, you will want to easily locate the key and find it if you drop it.
- Buy content insurance (and life insurance).
Remember in a house fire, every single second counts. Do NOT worry about belongings. Your only concern is to escape and call the fire department.
Emergency numbers: Police 100, Ambulance 101, Fire 102, Hatzala 02-999-9992
Disclaimer: This safety list is only a partial list. Please consult your local fire department for a complete list.
The Spark Within by Rivka Yudin